FRONT PORCH NEWS COMO TEXAS
Como was settled originally, by the Carroll family, in 1846 or 1847. They were soon joined by other families. The area was known as Carroll's Prairie.
A post office was established in 1870 and the town was called Bacchus. The post office ceased functioning in 1871 but was reestablished in 1873.
In 1876 the town's name was changed to Carroll's Prairie. In 1893 an L was dropped and the town was called Carrol's Prairie. Then in 1894 the name was changed to Como.
In 1890 - 1891 Como's population was 400. Businesses included a carpenter, blacksmith, three mill and gin companies, four physicians, four grocers, one drug company, one general store, a furniture store, a saloon, an express telegraph and railroad agent, and a dry goods and grocery store.
As of 1896 - 1897 the population had risen to 500. There was a Baptist and a Methodist church and two preachers. Businesses included a blacksmith, three mill and gin companies, five physicians, seven general stores, and one barber.
In 1914 - 1915 the population was 500. The now inc0rporated town on the M. K. T. Railway had a Baptist, Christian, and a Methodist church as well as a weekly newspaper called "The Como Headlight". There was also an electric light plant and three lignite mines. Cotton, fruit, "truck garden", cordwood, and lignite were shipped from the town. Businesses included one livery company, a well driller, two gins, seven physicians, four grocers, two pharmacists, four general stores, one furniture sales and undertaker business, one hardware, furniture sales, and undertaker company, one hardware and farm implement company, two banks, two restaurants, two general contractors, one tailor, one grocer and produce, one poultry breeder, three fruit growers, one photographer, one building and loan association, one gin, one mercantile company, one real estate company, one feed, produce, and cotton company, one veterinarian, one telephone company, one attorney, one dry goods and shoes business, one meat seller, two ice dealers, two lumber companies, one hotel, two jewelers, one dry goods and shoes company, and one moving picture business.