FRONT PORCH NEWS CUMBY TEXAS


Main Street in Saltillo Texas about 1913. The bank is the first building on the left.
1913 Cumby street scene. This is Depot street looking south

In 1884 the village of Black Jack Grove was a bustling community 14 miles west of Sulphur Springs. The population was 250. Mail was delivered daily. Black Jack Grove boasted 2 steam grist mills, 2 cotton gins, 1 planing mill, 2 lumber companies, 5 grocers, 1 saloon and livery, 9 general stores, 1 blacksmith, 2 physicians, 1 lime manufacturer, 1 farm implement company, 1 jeweler, 2 saloons, 1 dry goods store, 1 furniture store, 1 attorney, 1 brick manufacturer, and 1 good school.

Branom's gin in Cumby Texas (date unknown)
Branom's gin in Cumby Texas (date unknown)


Millinery shop in Cumby Texas. (date unknown)

J. B., G.S. Berry & unnamed customers pose inside Berry Brothers Drugs & Jewelers, located in Cumby TX, about 1914.
J. B., G.S. Berry & unnamed customers pose inside Berry Brothers Drugs & Jewelers, located in Cumby TX, about 1914.

The Old Cumby High School
The Old Cumby High School

A Cumby school class in 1920.
A Cumby school class in 1920.


Some of the text and images on this web site were used with the gracious permission of the Hopkins County Historical Society.
Thank you!