FRONT PORCH NEWS SALTILLO
In the 1840s Old Saltillo was a camping ground on the Jefferson Road. The Jefferson Road, which was sixty feet wide, was only first class road east of old Tarrant.
The community's first resident, John Arthur settled on the old camping grounds in 1849. He established a copper shop where he made barrels, well buckets, water buckets, churns, and tubs. Mr. Arthur soon added a small store to his shop. Soon other families began moving to the area.
John Arthur suggested the name, Saltillo, after reading an article about Saltillo, Mexico.
Twin Groceries was the next business in the community.
The post office was established in 1860.
Between 1886 and 1887 the Cotton Belt railroad was constructed across Hopkins County. It passed through the community.
The first school was established in the Stout's Creek Baptist Church about 1889.
The Baptist church was organized in 1909. Meetings were held in a tent near the school house. Baptizing was done in a nearby mill pond. The Methodist Church was built in New Saltillo in 1921.
In 1928 the town was moved a second time because a concrete highway had been constructed south of the railroad. The business establishments were moved closer to the highway.